Sunday 1 January 2017

2016....A year in Books!

A brief review of the books I have read this year, as part of my 'Book a Month' challenge.


Elizabeth is Missing - Emma Healey  

This book is written from the perspective of someone suffering from dementia. It is hard hitting and quite sad at times, but superbly written with a really good plot. Certainly something a bit different, and I would highly recommend.

4/5

The Book Theif - Markus Zusak

I loved this!! Set during the Second World War it is one little girls journey through life, with her love of books, and adventure. It is heartwarming, with a melancholy edge. Certainly worth a read.

4.5/5

Let you go - Clare Mackintosh

If you liked Girl on the Train give this one a go. A really good twist and a surprise ending. Perfect for its genre.

4/5

Can I Say - Travis Barker

A must read for any Blink 182/Travis Barker fan! I often struggle with biography's but this kept me interested all the way through. He has had a really interesting life and its clear that he lives for playing the drums. I was blown away by the amount of other projects he has been involved in. A great read!

5/5

Room - Emma Donoghue

This is a strange one. It feels wrong to say that I enjoyed this, given that it is written from the viewpoint of a child who has been kept captive since birth, with their mother, but I did! Really cleverly written and it reminded me a bit of 'The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime'. It was easy to read and had a god plot. The ending could have been better though.

4/5

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Loved it! Its the story of two girls living in Afghanistan, and how their paths cross, through an arranged marriage and the after effects of the war. An insightful read, and although heart wrenching at times, I would highly recommend it.

5/5

Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro

In all honesty I have no idea what this book was about! It started off well, with a couple going on a journey to find their son. After that, it got a bit strange and didn't seem to be going anywhere. A really difficult read and I gave up after reading two thirds of it.

2/5

Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult

I'm a big fan of Jodi's books. They always have a good story, a little twist and plenty of deep characters. However, I found this slightly lacking compared to some of her others, A good read nonetheless, but nothing outstanding.

3.5/5

Like A Queen - Constance Hall

Well, what can I say?! A brilliant, brilliant read. I would say this is pretty much an Autobiography, and a lot of people have asked if you need to be a mum to read this book. My answer has always been 'No'. Yes a lot of the book centres around parenthood, because she has four children, however there is so much more in there too. Relationships, of all kinds, and self worth also play a big role in this book, Personally I find her writing captivating and hilarious. She speaks as she finds, and nothing is sugar coated. However, you still get a huge sense of love from everything she writes about. A woman with an open heart and an open mind. Perfect!

5/5

Galveston - Nic Pizzolatto

This comes from the creator of 'True Detective' which I loved. A good book with an intense plot and some deep characters. Short chapters which is always a winner for me, however the book can get quite in depth and descriptive at times and you sometimes lose the story a bit,

4/5

The Unmumsy Mum - Sarah Turner

I have yet to finish this (I am over half way) but so far it has been everything I thought it would be. A MUST read for any parent, I have found myself internally nodding along to pretty much every point she makes about the trials and tribulations of all aspects of parenting. I have also laughed out loud on a few occasions!!

5/5

Mum Bore x

No comments:

Post a Comment