Sunday 19 February 2017

Double Trouble

When I started this blog thing 8 months ago, I had many many thoughts running through my head when debating whether to take the plunge.
Things like....Whats the point???? Will I have time???? Do we need another parent blogger???? What if no one likes it???

blah blah blah.

One of these thoughts was also about the fact that my kids were a bit older now, 4 and 2, and I was probably over the worst of it. Surely this is the bit where things got easier?? Maybe I'd struggle to have things to write about??

I'd left the leaky nappies, sleepless nights, and puke covered clothes behind me.... what else was there to say????

Well....I have been in this parenting game for four years now, and still, STILL..... my naivety kills me.

IT. KILLS. ME.

So.... just to clarify, last week we had 3 leaky nappies in just one day from one child, the other puked all over her brothers bean bag, and we had many, MANY sleepless nights.

I think this concludes that no.... I am possibly NOT over the worst of it.

You see, the thing about having two (or more) is....that if its not one causing you to question your sanity.... its the other!!! 

While a 4 year old and a 2 year old might be manageable on their own. Putting them together is a whole different scenario!

For instance....
If ones sleeping in, the other is up at 5 because their quilt 'isn't right'. 
If one has just got over a cold, the other will just come down with it.
If one is eating their tea, the other is throwing it on the floor.
If one wants to play outside, the other one wants to play inside.
If one wants to watch Peppa Pig, the other wants Ben and Holly.

....and on and on it goes.

Not to mention the fact that they are sadistic little sods!! Sometimes they just can't actually cope with the fact that mummy is having 5 minutes peace, and their sibling is playing quite happily, and will do ANYTHING to ruin it.
This usually means storming in and snatching something from them. If I had a pound for every time I heard 'I had it first!!' 'Its my turn!' or 'Thats MY toy'!' I would be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

Sadly I don't get a pound. Or even a Penny. I have to endure that sh*t for free!

Sometimes they decide that even though their brother has displayed quite vocally that he does NOT want his sisters feet on his lap, she apparently 'NEEDS to put her feet there',even if it means she is practically hanging upside down on the sofa in the most uncomfortable position. It NEEDS to happen.

This results in screaming from him...then screaming from her (when he decides he's had enough and goes in for the bite)... and lots of under my breath swearing and fishwife shouting from me! 

Fun. Times.

Then there is the competition. Jesus Christ if they can turn it into a competition they will do! Even things that you think they could never possibly fight over, they will find a way. They always find a way.

I learnt this when I took them for a drive to see the Christmas lights, and Theo started having a meltdown because Eva had more lights appearing on her side of the car than his!

Give me strength. 

Anyway, this probably sounds like a moan and it isn't really. These are just 'observations' I have made (possibly fuelled by the fact I have had both of them at home for nearly 2 weeks because of sickness and half term) but observations none the less. 

Of course all this is forgotten at bed time when they say good night and give each other a (non forced) kiss and a cuddle, and you know they love each other really.

Until next time..... 




No comments:

Post a Comment